- To replace an R-12 substitute with DURACOOL 12aŽ, we recommend the removal of all existing
refrigerant. Charge the DURACOOL 12aŽ using 35% of the original R-12
charge weight listed on the system tag. For example, if the system tag calls for 40oz of
R-12, use 14oz DURACOOL 12aŽ. Since DURACOOL 12aŽ is compatible with the
mineral oils there is no need to change or flush your system. DURACOOL 12aŽ
will work with the existing components. Just follow the instructions below.
- To replace r-134a with DURACOOL 12aŽ, you should remove all the existing
r-134a. Charge the DURACOOL 12aŽ using 40% of the original (r-134a) charge
weight listed on the system tag. For example, if the system tag calls for 40oz of r-134a,
use 16oz DURACOOL 12aŽ. Since DURACOOL 12aŽ is compatible with the synthetic
oils there is no need to change or flush your system. DURACOOL 12aŽ will
work with the existing components. Just follow the instructions below.
- Recover any existing refrigerant charge into a suitable container,
regulations vary by region and the recovery of existing refrigerant may need
to be completed by an authorized technician. Leak test the system, if a leak
is detected the system must be repaired prior to charging. DURACOOL 12aŽ is
flammable and should only be leak tested with an electronic hydrocarbon leak
tester, soap bubbles or fluorescent tracer fluid. If leaks are detected,
ventilate area, keep away from flames and repair the leak. After repair,
continue with the charging procedure. Pull a vacuum of at least 25 cm Hg (10
- Locate low side service port of the AC system. Generally it will have
a blue or a black cap (Do not connect to high-pressure side. This may cause
the components to fail and cause bodily injury.)
- Remove low side dust cap. Connect hose to system by pushing on to the
male service port fitting; ensure that the coupler fits snugly into place.
The installation of conversion service port fittings may be required to
- Using only a device designed for the purpose, connect charging hose to
the DURACOOL 12aŽ container. Ensure that you are only charging liquid
DURACOOL 12aŽ into the low side of system.
- After a minimum charge is achieved, start compressor and set system to
high. When compressor cycles on and off about every 45 to 60 seconds stop
the flow of refrigerant. Check vent for cooling. If cooling is inadequate or
compressor is cycling excessively add small amounts of DURACOOL 12aŽ by
opening and closing valve handle. Low side pressures should read between 30
and 38 psi.
- Do not overfill. Exercise patience and let the system operate for
several minutes before adding refrigerant.
- Apply refrigerant identification tag on dry area near installation
- DO NOT OVERCHARGE! Exceeding 60 psig on low side may damage
compressor. In some cases, clearing the site glass overcharges the unit. Any
overcharging may cause loss of cooling efficiency.
- When charging systems with DURACOOL 12aŽ the pressures should be the same
for the low side and about 5-10% lower on the high side than they would be
if you were to use R-12 or R-134a.